Monday, March 1, 2010

Grandkids give back! Another craft idea!

Let's face it. We do a lot for our kids and our grandkids. I think it's about time they give back!

I'll get to that in a minute but first I have to tell you that I have still not used up all the pages of the semi-chewed up book!

So on Sunday I made another wreath......and 10 "Thinking of You" cards...
The cards didn't interpret as well outside of my head as I thought they would. In fact, they might be even considered childish.

Which works out OK for me because I have a built in excuse! Grandkids!

The advantage of babysitting Grandkids is that if someone interprets my feeble attempts at paper crafts as juvenile I just say..."The grandkids had so much fun making that card for you!"

Or I can say, "Oh gosh, look at that ink-y mess the Grands made on the back of that card...but, oh, they try soooo hard!"

Works like a charm.

Then the recipient thinks a) you are a wonderful creative Grandma and b) that your Grands are brilliant. Win, Win either way I say.

If the Grands are present during the exchange...as in your friend says, "Oh, what an ....ummm... interesting card..." And you use your built-in kid excuse and then the kid says "But Gramma! You made those cards!" then you simply cover yourself by explaining, "I am teaching them to be modest of their accomplishments!"

See? Grandkids give back! Win/Win!

Just in case you want to make something like these cards (or ahemmm.... I mean your Grandkids or children want to make them) here's some simple instructions.

Cut some more of your chewed up book into skinny little strips... Find the center point of one of the strips (see that little green line?) ...Lay five more skinny little strips on top into a sunburst pattern, pick the whole shebang up carefully and put a staple in the middle of it...

Now fold the little strips toward the center but leave one sticking out...and then put a staple in the center to hold all the strips...
And then cut some leaves out of your book and some little circles and slather some watercolor all over everything... Slather? Oh that's just a technical art term. Sorry.

Then stamp all over the front of your white card with a dark blue stamp pad...(I only did this because I didn't have any colored cards on hand and I thought the flowers looked blah on the plain white)... ...and then...put all the stuff together with whatever adhesive stuff you like AND since is no project is complete without glitter use your little stickles and put a swirl or some dots in the center of the flower......stamp some Hallmark-y sentiment in the inside like "Friends are the watercolored book cut-outs on the card of life" (or some such nonsense) and...drumroll please...ta da! Do you like them???? Please pick the appropriate response below:

You like them??!!!! Well thank you very much! I worked long and hard on them and I thought they turned out charming and quaint.

You don't like them???!!!! Well. I think you are being mighty critical considering my three-year old Granddaughter made them. But seriously, if you feel the need to bash little childrens art projects perhaps you should not visit my blog anymore.

Sigh.

This post is linked to Trendy Treehouse!

post signature



52 comments:

Freely Living Life said...

Very cute! Very unique. Thank you for sharing some simple yet classy project ideas! :)

Theresa said...

Well, I love them and you're welcome:) I think they are quite creative! Enjoy your day!

Keetha Broyles said...

I LOVE those thinking of you cards and I don't think they're childish in the least! I looked at them and thought, "Oh cool - - - I like those even better than the wreath."

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

What a great way to spend time with your grandkids!

Kelly

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the 2nd wreath but the cards are just toooo cute~! It appeals to the kid in me! Love the sweetness of them. You did good Jenny!!

Mardell said...

Aahh Jenny...you know I love them!♥ And what a great way to recycle a chewed up book. I used to be able to enlarge your pics when I clicked on them, but it doesn't do that anymore. :o( My old eyes aren't what they used to be!!

Tarnished Rose said...

Seriously, they are great! I love the idea and it looks easy peasy.

Thanks!
Smiles~
Marilyn

GardenOfDaisies said...

The wreath and the cards are very cute, no matter who made them. ;-) Re-using the pages in a different way is even better than putting the paper in the recycle bin.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Jenny!

I think these are adorable cards! And fun to make!

I have a 2 year old and she is a walking " excuse pass" for just about everything! LOL

I'm glad you can use the H.L. coupon I posted. I know not everyone can find them.

have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

more great stuff!!! I'm so impressed. You need an Etsy shop!

mrs. c said...

As I say in my pre-k classroom....high on the CUTE scale!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Those cards are TOTALLY precious!

But come on Girl. You are making me feel "Ability Challenged." [Is that the P.C. way to say I'm a klutz at crafting?!? I certainly don't want to *offend* anyone, by saying the wrong term!] >,-))))))

Anyway, I can't craft. I break out in horrible hives and sweat profusely and get dizzzzzzzzzzy, when I even walk by a Craft Store. ,-)))))))))

^_^

^_^

^_^

Rustique Gal said...

Like them? I love them! they are so cute. The wreath is adorable too. You are crafty-don't deny it-you don't have to blame the grandkids!
Have a great day!
Sherry

Carrie said...

Love the cards! And I love the idea of blaming the children ;) We put up with so much from kids, nice to get a use out of them LOL

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Ashley Stone said...

cute, you're so creative!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I think your grandchildren are very gifted, a trait they must have inherited from you.
I love the cards and the wreath.
thanks for the laugh today!!!

Jess Herbig said...

I think a giveaway is in the works! Those would be great! I think they're incredibly cute!

Jami said...

Very cute!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I happen to think it was a creative idea and they're darn cute! There is something charming about childlike (not childish) art. It has no bad habits, it's not cynical or jaded, and it's always pleasant to be around.

Unknown said...

I just have to tell you that I love your playlist!! The Hubs and I were listening to it for hours on Saterday.

Thanks for stoping by on Friday!!

Tolentreasures said...

Cute, Cute, cute. Such a great excuse for me...I have grandchildren around all the time and I just used them for an excuse this morning. I mentioned you in my blog. Thank you so much for all the fabric! Check it out, I already have one dress done from what you sent. Thank-you, thank you THANK-YOU! It was so thoughtful of you!

Cathy

Christy said...

I love them! There are cute, whether you made them or your grandkid, lol! Love how you blame them though...I'll use that with my daughter!

Unknown said...

Those are very cute, I love them!

The Muse said...

i would not say childish...
innocent perhaps...
a breath of fresh air from the callous mass production of todays paper art...
:)

looks like fun times to me!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

You are too funny! My kids are always asking for cards to send to their Aunts and Grandmas. I think it would be good to give them something like that, and let them embellish and paint and sticker away.

Patty said...

Well, I think your cards are creative and charming. Whoever you decide to share them with will probably love them.

Darcie said...

If that all came from the inside of your head...I am MORE than impressed! I would be taking credit for each and everyone of those. Very pretty Jenny!

MrsJenB said...

You are too, too funny. You seriously cracked me up at the end there. Anyway, I think they are sweet, whimsical and adorable. Great job!!

MrsJenB said...

You are too, too funny. You seriously cracked me up at the end there. Anyway, I think they are sweet, whimsical and adorable. Great job!!

Wanda..... said...

You can send one to me anytime, Jenny! I like them, it's a craft I can do with my granddaughter!

Flat Creek Farm said...

The wreaths are darling, and so are the cards! -Tammy

Amy said...

Great ideas.. I do love your Dachshund sounds like the one I had...

Kat said...

I think they are great! So personal and fun and cute. I'll have to wait until I have grands to try the excuse out, for now I'll avoid crafting (that would have been a failing subject for me in school Mrs. Matlock) Kathy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Jenny

The cards are adorable! Anything home made is a treasure, whether made by Grandma or grandchild, or both, or one pretending to be!:-)

Last year the Anthropologie stores made a lot of displays out of old books and paper from books and they made similar flowers forthe walls. Really pretty! This year they used different colored water bottles to make flowers for the windows. I always love their umique displays.

♥ Pat

Vicki/Jake said...

Making my own response....
I LUV EM!
How fun you are..And very original too. If I wasn't older than you I'd say I want to be your grandkid! Oh whattheheck..I wanna be one of em and have so much fun and take all the credit for your fun stuff and..and..ya!
Ok, now head over to All My Yesterdays and enter the giveaway!!

Molly said...

I think those are cute!! My MIL is very crafty, and my kids love doing projects with her!

KCSherri said...

I am always in awe of your craftiness.... :)

Diana said...

I like them, I really like them! Where do you find the time to do all of this? Love Di ♥

Jen said...

I like! again, you make me laugh everyday, thanks! Nothing like using kids/grandkids as our cover, I do it all the time with my girls. :)

Ms Sparrow said...

Your grandkids must have a ball when they're with you! What a swell idea.

Ms Sparrow said...

Your grandkids must have a ball when they're with you! What a swell idea.

Deb said...

Jenny...I love the cards.....you don't even have to use the grandkid line on me...

Sarah said...

Jenny, your are getting very crafty! Love your projects. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Diana Ferguson said...

Too cute!!!

Lynda said...

I like them but even more, I like that you take time to take pictures of each step and explain everything so simply. But I LOVE that you enjoy being with your grandchildren even more!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I think they are sweet!

amelia said...

You are so talented!!! I would LOVE to have the talent to do this but I am just stuck knitting!!!
I'd be proud to have made those cards!!

Unknown said...

I think they are adorable and I would claim making them......save the grandkids excuse for another project....by the way, yesterday I went to joanns and bought a wreath from...guess what I am gonna make?

Anita said...

Your wreath looks good! And so do the cards.
My nine year old daughter would LOVE to make both. Maybe we'll find a book and do it.
The zig zaggy scissors - plentiful at the craft store I assume? When I was a kid, they were used for making clothes and called pinking shears, I believe. :)

Tracy said...

Thank you thank you thank you. I am using this idea for the Mothers day cards for my Rainbow group except printing Happy mothers day and best Mum onto pastel coloured paper then cutting stips and leaves your a star.

Melisa Waldorf said...

Jenny I love them! And you wrote a wonderful, funny tutorial as well! One question??
I don't have grandkids, what do I do in this situation, teehee.

Yarni Gras! said...

ROTFLMAO....love the appropriate response section! Came over from Melinda's to see your wreath tutorial. Your blog is addictive....the wrinkle posts are HYSTERICAL! I'll be back!

And BTW, the cards are AMAZING.