Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sauerkraut Alchemy...

I am a wizard.
 
Or perhaps that is a wizardess.
 
But only if you are a fan of sauerkraut.
 
If you are not...I bid you goodbye for the moment.
 
Bye now.
 
TaTa!
 
Have a good day!
 
If you're still reading, that means you like fermented cabbage, too.
 
Hooray for fermented cabbage.
 
Hooray for sauerkraut.
 
And hooray for recipes that make you into a sauerkraut alchemist.
 
In the next four photos I will show you how to add a few easy ingredients to your regular, old sauerkraut and turn it into something...
 
...ummm...
 
...magical.
 
Yes.  I said magical.  It is magical sauerkraut.
 
Voila.   Watch the magic trick unfold.
 
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
 
Spray a 9 x 13 pan with pam.
 
Get a big bowl out and put the following into it:
 
1 14 ounce can of chopped tomatoes (with juice)
1 14 ounce can of sauerkraut (with juice)
1/2 to 3/4 cup of white sugar (I think you could probably do this with splenda but I've never tried)
7 slices of raw bacon cut into 1/2" pieces (I use my kitchen scissors)
A few shakes of black pepper
 
It will not look very appetizing at this point.


 
Don't worry.
 
Next comes the magic part.
 
Bake this unappetizing casserole of stuff in the 325 degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the top is deeply golden brown and most of the liquid has evaporated.
 
That's it!
 
Presto!   Chang-OH!
 
All carmelized and golden and melty and scrumptious!
 
Dross into gold!
 
 

 
And, yes, I know that white sugar is bad for you.
 
But being bad is really, really good sometimes if you're a fan of sauerkraut and you want to try something different.
 
PS.   No rabbits or doves were pulled out of hats in this magic trick.   Just sayin'.


post signature

18 comments:

vivian said...

mmmmmm!!! sounds yummy! I need to write this down and remember to try it sometime.
thanks for sharing!
xoxo

Terra said...

I am not a fan of sauerkraut, but i read on anyway because I am a fan of Jenny!

Joanne Lendaro said...

I'm with Terra...not a fan of sauerkraut, but a fan of Jenny! I'm a bad, bad, read but don't usually reply blogger. Love ya girl, keep on writtin'!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

TaTa! LOL

XO,

Sheila

Unknown said...

This looks wonderful!

21 Wits said...

Cool! I always knew you were magical! This proves it!

Wanda..... said...

You promise me this is good, right, Jenny? ☺ My mother always made her own kraut and this weekend the nearby town of Waynesville is having their 43rd Annual Sauerkraut Festival! They have everything, from sauerkraut pizza to sauerkraut fudge!

J said...

Taht looks super yummy. :D

Ms. A said...

It would have to be really cold weather to try this one, since it requires the oven for so long, but I could totally do this one! At least I think I could.

Ames said...

Now that's a recipe I have never had. My sister makes a mean chocolate sauerkraut cake. So good. Her mayonaise cakes are the bommb too!~Ames

myletterstoemily said...

my husband would love this wizardry!
and sauerkraut is REALLY good for us.

thank you grand wizardress.

Anonymous said...

All you NEED is a can of tomato soup, maybe some chopped kielbasa if you are allowed to eat it OR bacon. You can save yourself or LIVE. Maybe your should try it.

Personally, I LOVE this recipe.

Susan Anderson said...

Have to admit I am not a lover of fermented cabbage.

Not even a little.

;)

Amy said...

I think Virgil would love this! ♥

Tonya said...

Yay!!! You wrote out this recipe. I will try it soon!! :) Perhaps I should have put the food warnings at the beginning of my post about beef tongue. :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This looks really tasty, Jenny! I think I'd love it as an accompainment to pork.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

That does look pretty good. I like a little bit of sauerkraut, now and then.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. it sounds delicious and perfect for Fall weather. Thanks for sharing it. laurie